After reading a post on facebook.com about household water tasting like chlorine due to a friends poor husband maybe having a heavy hand on the bottle. Below is a picture of our main water resource the Kowie River, it supplies local towns with majority of its water until the new Amatola Water Project kicks in the next 5 years. Water from the Fish river, and major boreholes will be piped the whole way down the eastern coast (150km ) to hopefully solve the water crisis in the area.
With only a small percentage of our total water being drinkable water, its a very delicate natural resource. We catch every raindrop possible since we only run on rain water, and water stands for a month or two without being used in large 2500, 5000 litre tanks. Drinking water is filtered through a homemade system to remove larger particles from dust to rust. i do try and boil water, but I have survived quite fine on rain water for 9 months now.
i started looking at ways to purify the water being stored for later use and found a couple good tips about bleaching your water that stands.
1 – Always allow long standing pipes/taps to drain for atleast 30 seconds before drinking from it.
2- 20 litres of water can be purified using ordinary household bleach ( 1 teaspoon ). Purify 5000 litres with about 200 ml of bleach. It should smell of chlorine after adding the bleach, if it does not repeat the process. the smell should go away after a few days.
3- Store water in the dark, it prevents bacteria and germs growing.
4 - Bleach effectively kills bacteria and viruses, stops smells and then breaks down. It’s effective germ killing alkaline property is completely neutralized very quickly.
Sodium hypochlorite solution, referred to as ” common household chlorine bleach”, is not a seriously poisonous substance to humans. It is an alkaline salt. It is not an “acid”. However It very, very effectively kills bacteria and viruses upon contact. It is the world-wide chemical of choice for treating drinking water, or for effectively sterilizing everything from shower stalls to surgical instruments. Truthfully, very heavily chlorinated water may be more irritating to the lungs – if it is used for showers, than it is harmful to the intestinal tract if used for drinking purposes. Even drinking straight household bleach rarely results in death. The alkaline properties of undiluted bleach may cause painful chemical burns to the esophagus and stomach – but it is not deadly poisonous. Bleach must always be kept out of the reach of children – because not only might they drink it – they may get it in their eyes. Sauce