- 5 pounds of Beef – Eye of Round (silverside in SA) or Bottom Round (rump roast in SA) or Tri-tip steak
- 3 cups Rock salt
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 cup Coriander seeds – toasted
- 1½ cups of Malt vinegar mixed with ¾ cup of Worchestershire sauce
- Black pepper
- Cut the beef into strips (approx. 1½ – 2 inches wide and ¾ to 1 inch thick).
- Pour a layer of rock salt into a plastic tub or large bowl
- Lay the steaks down and cover with rock salt (Repeat)
- When all the steaks have been covered with rock salt, put the tub in the fridge for half an hour.
- In another plastic tub or bowl pour the malt vinegar and Worchestershire sauce.
- Add the sugar and the bicarbonate of soda to the brine.
- Mix the brine well.
- Now pour the toasted coriander seeds into a Kitchen Aid machine and pulse, just enough to break the seeds in half and to make a little powder. (You can also put the seeds on a cutting board and roll a rolling pin over them to crush them.)
- Remove the tub with the salted steaks from the fridge and remove all the rock salt from each steak. The meat should be firm right now. Lay all the steaks with the salt removed aside.
- Now dunk all the steaks into the brine and let them sit there for about 5 minutes.
- Start removing each steak and squeeze each steak to remove liquid, but not too much liquid!
- Do this to all the steaks and lay the aside.
- Now pour the crushed coriander seeds onto a flat surface and press each steak, both sides into the crushed coriander and powder.
- Lay all the coriander encrusted steaks flat now and carefully sprinkle the ground black pepper on the steaks, both sides.
- Now hang each steak in your biltong box (Make sure that the pieces do not touch each other!)
- Let dry in the box for 3 to 7 days.
- Remove dried biltong from Biltong box and cut yourself a piece! Enjoy!
Author: Mano ThanosCuisine: South African