A couple months ago I bought 20 pieces of tender rump steaks, about 300 grams each. I used my homemade biltong dryer and compared it to just hanging them in a clean, dry and hot room.
The basic recipe is as follows, roughly:
- Cut the beef into strips about 4cm thick. Pack the meat into a smallish bowl, so that it fits tightly.
- Add the vinegar and Taka Tala sauce (Worcestershire sauce ) . Leave for 30 minutes.
- Mix the lightly fried coriander and pepper together in another bowl.
- In a third bowl, mix the salt, sugar and bicarbonate of soda together.
- Remove the meat from the marinade,save the marinade for later use.
- Add the beef to the bowl of spices, mixing it around until evenly coated. Save any spices that don’t stick.
- Bury the spiced beef in the salt and the sugar mixture and leave it for 3 hours.
- Remove the beef from the brine and dip it back into the reserved vinegar marinade for another 5 minutes.
All in all, it was eaiser to hang the biltong strips on a hanger in a dark room. The biltong dryer did dry the biltong faster.